Dynamic Foam Analyzer – DFA100
Scientific analysis of liquid foams
Our DFA100 instrument for analyzing foams measures the foamability of liquids and the foam stability based on precise measurements of the foam height. With flexibly deployable modules, it also measures the liquid content of the foam or analyses the foam structure with regard to bubble size and distribution. The DFA100 assists in the optimization of foam-forming products or, in the case of unwanted foam formation, helps with specific foam prevention.
Reproducible, precise and process-related measurements
A particular strength of our DFA100 is the exceptional reproducibility of foam height measurements thanks to an accurately controlled foaming process with electronic gas flow control. The optical sensor measures the quantity of foam produced and the decay characteristic equally precisely and with high resolution, even with very short-lived foams. As a result, the DFA100 is a reliable instrument for analyzing the whole spectrum from slow to very fast decaying foams. Specific measures for avoiding foam can be taken and the quantity and stability of the foam can be optimized with the help of the results obtained.
We have provided options for producing foam by means of bubbles or by stirring, in order to simulate process conditions and to be able to transfer raw data to large-scale situations. As further options, you can also simulate process temperatures up to 90°C or use externally connected gases such as carbon dioxide.
Impressively easy to use
The ease of using the DFA100 when preparing the measurement and when cleaning is of great advantage. The measuring cylinder is simply placed in the instrument using the plug-in unit. The flexible system enables components to be cleaned quickly, and allows one sample to be prepared while another measurement is running. This means more measurements in the same time.
The simple operation of the instrument goes hand-in-hand with the intuitive user guidance of the foam analysis software. The transparent programming of the measurement and the clear data management ensure rapid familiarization and effective use of the DFA100 from day one. After starting, the software controls the whole measurement, including the evaluation. Automatic multiple measurements provide statistical backup of the results.
Tasks and applications
- Foams for washing and cleaning
- Foams in foodstuffs and body care products
- Surfactant development
- Flotation as a method for separating solids
- Foam-inhibiting and foam-reducing agents (Antifoamers / Defoamers)
- Foam prevention for paints and varnishes, process and waste water and cooling lubricants
Measuring methods and options
- Measurement of foamability of liquids and foam decay
- Determination of total height, foam height and liquid height
- Foaming by means of bubbles or stirring
- Investigations of externally produced foams
- Automatic multiple measurements
- Foamability parameters, including maximum height, foam capacity and foam density
- Decay parameters, including start of decay, decay half-life and time-dependent foam heights similar to Ross-Miles
- Temperature-controlled measurements up to 90°C
- Foaming with externally connected gases
|Maximum measuring height||200 mm|
|Height resolution||0.125 mm|
|Maximum frame rate||20 frames per second|
|Minimum sample volume||20 ml|
|Gas flow when bubbling||0.2 to 1.0 L/min (standard)
0.05 to 1.0 L/min (externally connected gas)
|Rotational speed when stirring||maximum 8000 rpm|
|Dimensions||245 × 275 × 460 mm (W × D × H)|